Posts

ESP-07 flashing issue on PlatformIO and solution

Recently, I decided to port the ESPClock project to PlatformIO , and kept encountering an intermittent error during flashing:  A fatal error occurred: Timed out waiting for packet header Took me a long time to research the issue and making no headway,  until I stumbled upon this rare gem . The file I needed to modify is:   C:\Users\<Username>\.platformio\packages\tool-esptoolpy\esptool.py I changed the values to:  DEFAULT_TIMEOUT = 100  START_FLASH_TIMEOUT = 40  CHIP_ERASE_TIMEOUT = 240  MD5_TIMEOUT_PER_MB = 8  ERASE_REGION_TIMEOUT_PER_MB = 60  DEFAULT_SERIAL_WRITE_TIMEOUT = 20 Originally, DEFAULT_TIMEOUT was set to 10. That made flashing the code reliable, but flashing the filesystem was still problematic. After increasing the value all the way to 100, I never encountered the error again.

ESPCLOCK3, Runtime Upate #3

Image
So the ESPCLOCK started on 22 Aug 3:50pm on a fresh set of batteries and ended this morning 19 Nov at 4:30am. 89 days in total, or about 3 months, just like last time. But this time, it went through daylight saving in Oct . Each battery had an average of 0.9V left on it. Once I have time, I plan to start work on adapting the ESPCLOCK to a $3 STOMMA Ikea clock with silent clock movement.

Drivinator Direct Drive Mod for Ender 3

Image
I recently tried printing and installing the Drivinator , which is a direct drive mod for the Creality Ender 3. It makes use of all existing parts, so there is nothing extra to purchase (the stepper motor wire needs to be lengthened, which is easy done by a little splicing; an even easier route is to purchase an extension cable online). It is also compatible with the FreeABL bed levelling mod. Besides FreeABL, this is easily the best mod I have installed for the Ender 3, well worth the 1 hour or so I spent on the job. This was the YouTube video which helped me install the mod: Where before the extruder would sometimes skip and grind under the Bowden tube setup, the extrusion after the upgrade is just smooth as butter. The extra weight on the print head also doesn't seem to affect print quality or speed. With the enhanced extrusion, I was now able to crank up the print speed. But at higher print speeds, I discovered sharp corners were showing signs of over extrusion, so I needed to

ESPCLOCK3, Runtime Upate #2

There is something magical about waking up the morning after daylight saving and finding your analog ESPCLOCK at the exact right time without requiring any adjustment!  The clock started with a fresh set of rechargeables on 22 Aug, and has been running since then, just in time for the October daylight saving change, which sets the clock one hour ahead at 2am. I am glad now there is one fewer clock around the house that requires adjustment after daylight saving!

Windows 10: Remove execution permission from all files created in user "Downloads" folder

From Administrative command prompt: cd \Users\<User> icacls Downloads /deny <User>:(CI)(OI)(X) /t User will no longer be able to run any EXE in his "Downloads" folder. To revert: cd \Users\<User> icacls Downloads /remove <User> /t

Compiling Marlin 2.x for the Creality Ender 3 using PlatformIO

Image
 I had previously modded my Ender 3 to use the FreeABL for auto bed-leveling. This requires compiling and uploading a custom version of Marlin firmware with  AUTO_BED_LEVELING_BILINEAR enabled. Since this takes quite a quite of extra storage, it requires  SLIM_LCD_MENUS to be enabled. This removes the function to configure E-steps from the control panel.  As mentioned in my previous post , setting the right E-steps value is one of the most important operation to perform when changing filament or print nozzle. As a result of enabling  SLIM_LCD_MENUS , I can only configure E-steps by hooking up the Ender 3 to my laptop and issuing raw G-codes. This was getting old pretty fast. So the other day, I started poking around to see if there is a way to fit both  AUTO_BED_LEVELING_BILINEAR  and  SLIM_LCD_MENUS  in the limited storage on the plain-vanilla Ender 3. After much research and tinkering, I am glad to report this is indeed possible. Here are 2 links I found most useful in helping me

PC Logger: AutoIt3 script for PC activity monitoring

Image
Due to COVID-19, the kids had to do online learning for a couple of months. Unfortunately, they were constantly tempted to play games or watch YouTube during class time. Sometimes they became so immersed that they missed lessons, or forget to complete assigned tasks. I tried various solutions, such as parental control software, or lock down the router. None of them worked for me. There were just too many things to configure. Furthermore, some potential avenues for distraction (eg. YouTube) might sometimes be necessary for schoolwork (eg. YouTube being used for information or research by the teacher). The solution I eventually settled upon turned out to be quite simple. I hacked together an AutoIt script that logs details about the active window (title and executable) to a Google form periodically. By looking at the logs from time-to-time, it gives me a pretty good picture of what they have been doing on their computers, and have a chat with them when things get out-of-hand. Github repo