Skip to main content

ESPCLOCK4 - Implementation

I have uploaded the final code for ESPCLOCK4 to GitHub. Full details and schematic at the repository.

I have also created 2 prototypes, 25cm and 38cm clocks: 

I am quite happy with this version. It is much easier to debug (by using a dev board with the UART intact during development, and switching to one with the UART removed to save power for production), and very straightforward to implement on a prototype board. It also uses very few external components, but is equally power efficient.

Future enhancements will include:

- Adding an external clock crystal to eliminate the RTC_SLOW_CLK drift.

- Using C to write the ULP code. Assembly code is tedious and error-prone.


  1. Have you seen the recentish wifi clock movements from china? I think someone at a movement manufacturer might've been following your work ;)

    1. No I haven't! Must have been a recent development. At ~$75 for the 12-inch model, it's a little too rich for my taste. I will hunt around for reviews and try to figure out how it works. Very interesting! Thanks for the info.

    2. Preliminary research shows:

      1) WiFi clock movement uses 2 x AA alkaline
      2) Claimed battery life of 1 year
      3) Uses sweeping clock movement
      4) Synchronizes once a day
      5) Stops at midnight every day to preserve battery life, and restart next morning. Can be changed through web interface.
      6) Connects to NTP for network time

    3. Yeah they're about $28 here out of the bay, I got one on the way just to see how it works. But your new 4 design is probably gonna work better. Out of interest why did you stop doing NTP queries?

    4. NTP is the easy part, since that just gives you the UTC time. You still need to convert it to local time based on your timezone, and _that_ is the big hairy monster. No easier way then to outsource this task to a machine running a full OS that takes care of NTP + TZDB + DST info all in one place.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Update: Line adapter for Ozito Blade Trimmer

Update (Dec 2021): If you access to a 3D printer, I would now recommend this solution , which makes it super easy to replace the trimmer line. I have been using it for a few months now with zero issue.

Filament Joiner Part 2 (With Display and Knob)

Thanks to the current corona-virus crisis, the parts I ordered for the filament joiner project were taking forever to arrive. But now that they have finally arrived, I can put them to good use. These were the parts ordered: 0.96" OLED display SSD1306 Rotary switch encoder KY-040 Here is the final circuit diagram: The OLED display is connected to the SDA and SCL pins of the Nano (A4 and A5 respectively), and powered by 5V and GND. The rotary switch encoder is connected as follows: VCC => 5V GND = > GND CLK => D9 DT => D8 SW => D2 My prototype board now looks like this: The updated code for driving the knob and display is available in  heater-with-display.ino in the Github repository . We now have a fairly compact (about 7cm x 5cm) and independent filament joiner (no need to connect to PC) that is driven solely by a 12V power supply. Here's how to use it to join printer filaments. More usage details in my previous post .

Adding "Stereo Mixer" to Windows 7 with Conexant sound card

This procedure worked for my laptop (Thinkpad E530) with a Conexant 20671 sound card, but I suspect it will work for other sound cards in the Conexant family. I was playing with CamStudio to do a video capture of a Flash-based cartoon so that I can put it on the WDTV media player and play it on the big screen in the living room for my kids. The video capture worked brilliantly, but to do a sound capture, I needed to do some hacking. Apparently, there was this recording device called "Stereo Mixer" that was pretty standard in the Windows XP days. This allowed you to capture whatever was played to the speaker in all its digital glory. Then under pressure from various organizations on the dark side of the force, Microsoft and soundcard makers starting disabling this wonderful feature from Windows Vista onwards. So after much Googling around, I found out that for most sound cards, the hardware feature is still there, just not enabled on the software side. Unfortunately, to