Skip to main content

ESPCLOCK2, Part 1 - Getting timezone and local time

I am almost done with the implementation of ESPCLOCK2, so I will start a series of posts detailing the obstacles encountered and lessons learnt from the project.

The original ESPCLOCK obtains the geolocation of the clock during setup from the user's browser, and use the geolocation to convert to local time using Google's Timezone API. As noted here, this approach hits a major snag as recent browsers started to restrict the use of navigator.geolocation.getCurrentPosition() to Javascript running from SSL-secured websites. Since it would be extremely unlikely for WifiManager to support SSL hosting, another approach is needed.

After considering the alternatives, I think the simplest approach will be to host a simple PHP script on a server. This has several advantages: 1) There are no API keys to muck with. All timezone APIs I looked at require you to register for some kind of API key. 2) You won't be affected by API changes, or the service shutting down. You can run the script from any machine that is properly NTP-synchronized (most OS do it by default these days, even Windows). I am hosting the script here, which is open to public access. It is basically a simple 3-liner:

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
<?php

if (isset($_REQUEST['tz'])) {
  $time = new DateTime();
  $time->setTimezone(new DateTimeZone($_REQUEST['tz']));
  print $time->format('h:i:s');
}

?>

It takes a timezone string found from the list here, and returns the local time for that timezone. The script has very low memory, network and disk access overhead.

There is still the problem of trying to detect the timezone of the user from the browser during setup. This is done by using Intl.DateTimeFormat().resolvedOptions().timeZone, which is supported by more recent browsers. If for some reason the browser does not support this, the user can always populate the field manually.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update: Line adapter for Ozito Blade Trimmer

Update (Dec 2021): If you access to a 3D printer, I would now recommend this solution , which makes it super easy to replace the trimmer line. I have been using it for a few months now with zero issue.

Filament Joiner Part 2 (With Display and Knob)

Thanks to the current corona-virus crisis, the parts I ordered for the filament joiner project were taking forever to arrive. But now that they have finally arrived, I can put them to good use. These were the parts ordered: 0.96" OLED display SSD1306 Rotary switch encoder KY-040 Here is the final circuit diagram: The OLED display is connected to the SCK and SDA pins of the Nano (A2 and A3 respectively), and powered by 5V and GND. The rotary switch encoder is connected as follows: VCC => 5V GND = > GND CLK => D9 DT => D8 SW => D2 My prototype board now looks like this: The updated code for driving the knob and display is available in  heater-with-display.ino in the Github repository . We now have a fairly compact (about 7cm x 5cm) and independent filament joiner (no need to connect to PC) that is driven solely by a 12V power supply. Here's how to use it to join printer filaments. More usage details in my previous post .

Adding "Stereo Mixer" to Windows 7 with Conexant sound card

This procedure worked for my laptop (Thinkpad E530) with a Conexant 20671 sound card, but I suspect it will work for other sound cards in the Conexant family. I was playing with CamStudio to do a video capture of a Flash-based cartoon so that I can put it on the WDTV media player and play it on the big screen in the living room for my kids. The video capture worked brilliantly, but to do a sound capture, I needed to do some hacking. Apparently, there was this recording device called "Stereo Mixer" that was pretty standard in the Windows XP days. This allowed you to capture whatever was played to the speaker in all its digital glory. Then under pressure from various organizations on the dark side of the force, Microsoft and soundcard makers starting disabling this wonderful feature from Windows Vista onwards. So after much Googling around, I found out that for most sound cards, the hardware feature is still there, just not enabled on the software side. Unfortunately, to