Skip to main content

DIY Roomba Virtual Wall, Part 2

Following on the success of the test circuit, I added a status LED and a pushbutton to the breadboard. 

A summary of the connections:

  • IR LED connected to pin 3 (PB4) of the ATtiny85 (100ohm current- limiting resistor). Pin 3 is where the tiny_IRremote library sends its output to by default.
  • Normal LED connected to pin 2 (PB3, 220ohm current-limiting resistor). We will use this LED as a status indicator to 1) signal power-on 2) signal battery low
  • Pushbutton connected to pin 6 (PB1, 10Kohm pull-up resistor). We will use this as a soft switch to turn the virtual wall on/off.

The Arduino source code is available here.

Note: I configured ATtiny85 to run at 1MHz for additional power saving. Correspondingly, in tiny_IRremoteInt.h, I had to change #define SYSCLOCK from 8000000 to 1000000.

Some highlights of the code:

  • Pin change interrupt is used to monitor when the pushbutton is pressed to turn on the unit.
  • In normal operation, status LED flashes every second.
  • Watchdog timer interrupt is triggered every 64s to measure the battery level. If battery level drops to below 2.8V, status LED flashes 0.1s every 4 seconds to signal that battery needs to be changed.
  • The circuit automatically turns off after 80 minutes.

I powered the circuit using 3xAA NiMH rechargeable batteries. Since the operating voltage of the ATtiny85 is 2.7V - 5.5V, 2xAA alkaline batteries will also work. But with 3xAA, both rechargeables and alkalines can be used, so I went with that.

Using the current meter to measure,  when the circuit is off, the current consumption is around 0.2mA. When the circuit is on and emitting signal, the current consumption is around 5.5mA.

At 2000mAH per AA NiMH battery, this works out to 363 hours of continous operation. If the unit is run for 2 x 80 minutes every day, the battery would still last for at least 3 months, which is good enough for me. Plus I much prefer to work with AA rechargeables than C-size batteries which the original virtual wall requires.

I soldered the components down onto a prototype board, and here's what I came up with:

The prototype board is 5cm x 7cm cut in half, so the dimension is 5cm x 3.5cm.

The IR LED is the one jutting out horizontally in front. The white 2-pin JST female connector is for interfacing with the battery holder.

A 0.1uF ceramic capacitor is added between the VCC and GND pins of the ATtiny85 for decoupling purpose.

In the next step, I will 3D print a suitable enclosure for the virtual wall.

Part 1 - Part 3 - Part 4


Popular posts from this blog

Adding "Stereo Mixer" to Windows 7 with Conexant sound card

This procedure worked for my laptop (Thinkpad E530) with a Conexant 20671 sound card, but I suspect it will work for other sound cards in the Conexant family. I was playing with CamStudio to do a video capture of a Flash-based cartoon so that I can put it on the WDTV media player and play it on the big screen in the living room for my kids. The video capture worked brilliantly, but to do a sound capture, I needed to do some hacking. Apparently, there was this recording device called "Stereo Mixer" that was pretty standard in the Windows XP days. This allowed you to capture whatever was played to the speaker in all its digital glory. Then under pressure from various organizations on the dark side of the force, Microsoft and soundcard makers starting disabling this wonderful feature from Windows Vista onwards. So after much Googling around, I found out that for most sound cards, the hardware feature is still there, just not enabled on the software side. Unfortunately, to

Hacking a USB-C to slim tip adapter cable to charge the Thinkpad T450s

This hack is inspired by this post . A year ago, I bought an adapter cable for my wife's Thinkpad X1 Carbon (2nd Gen) that allows her to power her laptop with a 60W-capable portable battery (20V x 3A). A USB-C cable goes from the battery into the adapter, which converts it to the slim tip output required by the laptop. Everything works out of the box, so I didn't give much thought about it. Recently, I decided to buy a similar cable for my Thinkpad T450s. I know technically it should work because the T450s can go as low as 45W (20V x 2.25A) in terms of charging (though I have the 65W charger - 20V x 3.25A).  I went with another adapter cable because it was cheaper and also I prefer the single cable design. So imagine my surprise when the cable came and I plugged it into my laptop and it didn't work! The power manager just cycle in and out of charging mode before giving up with an error message saying there is not enough power. After much research and reading the Thinkwiki

Using Google Dashboard to manage your Android device backup

I used to use AppBrain/Fast Web Install to keep track of which apps I have installed on my phone, and to make it easier to reinstall those apps when the phone gets wiped or replaced. But AppBrain had been going down the tubes, and Fast Web Install had always been a hit-and-miss affair. Android's own "backup to the cloud" system had previously been even more unusable. There isn't a place where you can see what has been backed up. And when you setup a new phone with your Google account, you just have to wait and pray that your favorite apps will be restored to the phone. Typically all the stars have to be aligned just right for this to happen. More often than not, after waiting for an hour or so and nothing happens, you just curse under your breath and proceed to install your favorites apps manually via the Play Store. But I just looked again recently and was pleasantly surprised that things are much more civilized now. Firstly there is a place now where you can loo