Skip to main content

DIY Roomba Virtual Wall

Recently, my Roomba virtual wall broke. Not sure what happened. I did a battery change, and the darn thing will not power up after the new batteries were inserted.

Anyway, while looking online for a new virtual wall to buy, I came across info on people making their own virtual walls. Here is a links dump:

  1. https://petezah.com/category/development/roomba/
  2. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3104027
  3. http://blog.batmule.dk/posts/2019/Roomba_Virtual_Wall_part1/
  4. http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=65658&mobile=on
  5. https://misc.ws/2014/02/27/diy-virtual-wall-for-roomba/
  6. https://misc.ws/2014/08/09/diy-virtual-wall-for-roomba-part-two/
  7. http://www.enide.net/webcms/index.php?page=virtual-wall-for-roomba
  8. http://eka.tomeczko.pl/index.php/diy-roomba-virtual-wall
  9. http://gregthielen.me/blogstuff/2017/06/27/roomba-virtual-wall/
  10. https://github.com/MKme/Roomba
  11. http://forkthings.com/2016/11/25/diy-an-irobot-roomba-virtual-wall/
Turns out it is extremely easy to produce the IR signal emitted by the virtual wall. It's basically 0.5ms mark, 7.5ms space, 3 times, followed by 132ms of rest (based on the info given here), over a 38KHz modulation frequency.


I decided to test the idea using a simple ATtiny85-based circuit on the breadboard:

 
The test program is as follows:

#include <tiny_IRremote.h>

void setup() {
  irsend.enableIROut(38);
}

void loop() {
  for (int i=0; i<3; i++) {
      irsend.mark(500);
      irsend.space(7500);
    }
    delay(132);
}

My initial attempt using the IRRemote library found in Arduino's Library Manager didn't work, though ATtiny85 is supposed to be supported.

Being the lazy bum that I am, instead of trying to debug the library, I simply googled around and found another IR remote library called tiny_IRremote. I downloaded the library and changed the include file, and to my amazement, the test circuit worked on first try!

The IR LED that I was using on the breadboard was the one salvaged from the broken virtual wall. I also tested another IR LED that I removed from an old TV remote, as well as a IR LED that I found in the original Arduino kit purchased many years back. They all worked without a problem (at least with the two 500-series Roomba in my possession).

Now that the proof-of-concept works, I am going to build a replacement Roomba virtual wall with the ATtiny85.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Update: Line adapter for Ozito Blade Trimmer

Update (Dec 2021): If you access to a 3D printer, I would now recommend this solution , which makes it super easy to replace the trimmer line. I have been using it for a few months now with zero issue.

Filament Joiner Part 2 (With Display and Knob)

Thanks to the current corona-virus crisis, the parts I ordered for the filament joiner project were taking forever to arrive. But now that they have finally arrived, I can put them to good use. These were the parts ordered: 0.96" OLED display SSD1306 Rotary switch encoder KY-040 Here is the final circuit diagram: The OLED display is connected to the SDA and SCL pins of the Nano (A4 and A5 respectively), and powered by 5V and GND. The rotary switch encoder is connected as follows: VCC => 5V GND = > GND CLK => D9 DT => D8 SW => D2 My prototype board now looks like this: The updated code for driving the knob and display is available in  heater-with-display.ino in the Github repository . We now have a fairly compact (about 7cm x 5cm) and independent filament joiner (no need to connect to PC) that is driven solely by a 12V power supply. Here's how to use it to join printer filaments. More usage details in my previous post .

Adding "Stereo Mixer" to Windows 7 with Conexant sound card

This procedure worked for my laptop (Thinkpad E530) with a Conexant 20671 sound card, but I suspect it will work for other sound cards in the Conexant family. I was playing with CamStudio to do a video capture of a Flash-based cartoon so that I can put it on the WDTV media player and play it on the big screen in the living room for my kids. The video capture worked brilliantly, but to do a sound capture, I needed to do some hacking. Apparently, there was this recording device called "Stereo Mixer" that was pretty standard in the Windows XP days. This allowed you to capture whatever was played to the speaker in all its digital glory. Then under pressure from various organizations on the dark side of the force, Microsoft and soundcard makers starting disabling this wonderful feature from Windows Vista onwards. So after much Googling around, I found out that for most sound cards, the hardware feature is still there, just not enabled on the software side. Unfortunately, to